UPDATED: Xbox One to feature online game trading system

by Gaetano 'Xbot' Prestia Featured 36 Comments 22 Votes 862 Views 22/05/2013 Back to News

UPDATE: Details are hazy. Microsoft now says there will be no fee to play used games.

The Xbox One won't play Xbox 360 games but it will play used games ... at a price.

With each new game that you buy, you'll have a unique code that links the game to your Xbox One console. That means every person that uses that console across multiple accounts will be able to play that game, irrespective of which user is signed in.

However, if you want to play the game on a friend's console, you'll need to pay a fee to unlock it and get it to work on the console, with the price relative to the game's age.

UPDATE: Microsoft has clarified, stating that as long as you're signed into one of the accounts connected to the game, you'll be able to use it on another console.

Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison told Kotaku that a new game could be unlocked for the full price of the disc at stores.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

Harrison also revealed a game trading system through Xbox Live, although more details are being reserved for a later date.

"We will have a solution -- we’re not talking about it today -- for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

Link to us http://360.mmgn.com/News/xbox-one-to-feature-online-game-trading
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

UPDATED: Xbox One to feature online game trading system Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
I'm actually finding this very interesting, the game trading system sounds great i'm assuming the digital titles between consumers online? if it works would be great on Steam.

gammaray13 said: Massive fail in my eyes, I own the game if I want to take to mates place and have some I should be able to not pay for it again, money hungry Microsoft

I think Sony will do a similar thing tbh.

I wonder what will they do to ensure we pay for all backcatalog games
Blob
You have to pay to play a game at a friends house?
Holy shit what the **** I hate the future.

Blob said: You have to pay to play a game at a friends house?
Holy shit what the **** I hate the future.

Amen.
PC is going to reap from this generation

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Not sure why, this 'future' is already here with Steam.
I mean you don't have the option to trade games or take them round a friends at all on PC.
isnt that blocking used games...you have to BUY it (again)before you can play it.
in my eyes that is blocking used games
a used game will not work unless you pay to unlock it
So if you buy a used game from eb games, when you get home you will have to pay again!!!!
they have just killed the used games market

Homedad said: So if i buy a game and play on my machine, then my son wants to play in his room...I have to pay again!!!!!!
in my eyes that is blocking used games
a used game will not work unless you pay to unlock it

Well sorta I think the idea is that you buy the game for £40 and to license it to a friend as such he may have to spend £10? but he'd then own it too for good. It's not as bad as it sounds but more info is due at E3 I think.

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Do you think?

I don't. I think PC can survive on its own and improve on its own without having to rely on the successes or failures of the console market.

As they keep mentioning online.

Rusty12 said: Are they saying you only have to pay for it if you go online, or even if you just want to play a single player game offline at a friends ?
As they keep mentioning online.

If the console isn't connected to the Internet it won't even boot up the game, if it is connected it will ask you to pay.
Really, even a single player game ?
This is from Major Nelson

"Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

Rusty12 said: This is from Major Nelson

Yep, massive miscommunication on Microsoft's behalf.

twitter.com/...

Xbox Support says there is no fee for used games.

Fail.

"Signed in to your profile".
Sloppy by Microsoft.

OllyEbbz said:

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Not sure why this 'future' is already here with Steam. I mean you don't have the option to trade games or take them round a friends at all.

Not sure if there's meant to be a , anywhere in there, Or i just don't know how to take this comment [MOG]

Tano said:

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Do you think?

Tano said:

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Do you think?

Don't know dude, a lot of my mates have jumped ship from the Xbox to the PC during the last year or so and I can see many more doing the same thing.

Mirage said:

Tano said:

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Do you think?

TBH I'd have been one of them if I could afford a super powerful PC.

GreenThumb said:I think there's going to be a few people turned off consoles to be honest. It can definitely survive on it's own without relying on the highs and lows of consoles, I just think eventually people are going to become more interested in the PC gaming universe rather than a console.

Casual gamers will never make the switch, it is much easier to buy a console than upgrade a PC. The casual market is pretty powerful, they shouldn't be written off.

OllyEbbz said:

GreenThumb said: PC is going to reap from this generation

Actually yes, you can trade games. And you can trade items in games. And you can trade items from one game for items in another, and you can trade items in games for games.

Granted, once you *activate* the game, you can no longer trade it. But if that's a serious criticism, well here's some rebuttal: in most cases, you can buy two Steam copies of a game for an equal or lesser price than a retail console copy of said game.

Also, comparing a digital platform (Steam) to consoles in terms of taking games to someone else's place, frankly, makes zero sense at all..

Either way, glad that Microsoft aren't blocking out using games on other consoles. Very poor communication from them.

Marge said: From looking at that Xbox support twitter account they didn't actually say there would be no fee. They are saying that they didn't say there would be a fee. Whenever someone asks them about it they copy+paste "Nothing has been announced just yet about pre-owned games." So they may say there is a fee at a later date but they haven't said it yet so as of this point there is "no fee".

It's been clarified. If they use your account, there is no fee. If they use another account, they have to pay full price for the game...
^ I thought they backtracked on that point as it was a miscommunication and comes across as a ridiculously greedy business model. If that was not a miscommunication ... wow.
I think Microsoft are making it up as they go along.

gdmatt said: I think Microsoft are making it up as they go along.

this, pretty much. how can we offend the least amount of people until we can lock it in and charge them.

This probably explains the backtracking that EA did with ditching online pass codes .
They obviously didn't do it out of good will because they know of Microsoft plans and I'm assuming Sony will do something similar for the PlayStation 4.

I'm confused.

Anyway, is it just me, or is everyone missing something else here? If you have to be signed in, it's the dreaded 'always online' set-up we've been fearing, right?

Tano said:

I think Sony will do a similar thing tbh.

I'm agreeing. Sony will have something along these lines too.

Makra said: I'm confused.

pretty much... I have my console offline for the most part so to have to activate it online would annoy me.

And to think back when I was young, renting a game was part of the fun - Not anymore at least with Microsoft!

I don't know if I'm keen about this at all. My brother and I at one time use to trade games between ourselves and if we really liked it and wanted to play online we'd buy two.

So glad, I don't have to do this shit with my Blu-ray movies.
Just imagine having to pay to play it on my laptop and then onto my PS3 and then at a mates blu-ray player at his house. [Rage]

Leasha said:

Tano said:

I think Sony will do a similar thing tbh.

I'm agreeing. Sony will have something along these lines too.

I hope not, it just takes all the heat away from EA and making them seem like it was all 'goodwill'.

I sure hope EA hasn't hasn't pushed their agenda for this since this system would work a whole lot better if Sony and MS were on the same lame page.

Tano said:

I think Sony will do a similar thing tbh.
HMMMM
You suck at quoting ^
This is utter Shit, hopefully Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot, then revert back to being able to play used games!

GreenThumb said:

Fixed :P
Makes so much more sense now! [MOG]