Why is Microsoft releasing only one Xbox 360 exclusive in 2013?

by Gaetano 'Xbot' Prestia Featured 7 Comments 14 Votes 6459 Views 12/12/2012 Back to Articles

Next year is shaping up to be a pretty big year for console gamers. Grand Theft Auto V, Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, just to name a few. And that’s only for the first-half of 2013!

PlayStation 3 has a handful of exciting exclusives, including The Last Of Us, Beyond and Sly Cooper 4 (which is arriving a few years too late for my liking).

But for the 360, exclusive brands are nowhere to be seen, aside from the under-the-radar Gears of War: Judgement, which feels like a forced tide-over of a tired franchise until the next Xbox arrives.

So why has Microsoft done so little to evolve its exclusives lineup for Xbox 360 beyond 2012?

Reason #1: It’s launching a new console in 2013

Microsoft revealed the Xbox 360 in May 2005, before launching it six months later in November in North America. Will the company do the same thing with the next Xbox? If a reveal at E3 2013 is on the cards, it would appear to make a November release very much a possibility...while also appearing especially unlikely. But with so many calls from developers for new hardware, and an almost non-existent lineup of exclusive software (and dwindling with the new year), surely, SURELY, a new Xbox is right around the corner.

Reason #2: It wants Xbox to be entertainment first, gaming second

“Xbox is becoming THE Microsoft brand for entertainment,” said Microsoft senior director Leonardo Metelli back in September. Matelli also highlighted that year-on-year usage of Xbox Live has increased every year since the release of the Xbox 360.

Even more surprising? That “more hours [are] being spent on entertainment than on gaming” when it comes to Xbox Live. That’s a staggering statistic considering the hostility often felt from gamers when told Xbox is “no longer just about gaming”.

Reason #3: There are a bunch of unannounced exclusives we know nothing about

Bungie’s new “Destiny” project would be an Xbox 360 exclusive in a fantasy world where the developer is still owned by Microsoft. The game sounds amazing, but it’s almost certainly cross-platform. So does Microsoft have any other tricks up its sleeves? With more Spartan Ops missions coming to Halo 4, a new Gears of War: Judgement, and perhaps some XBLA exclusives, the company might be confident that third-party support can help drive sales of its hardware, even in the face of a limited exclusives lineup.

Reason #4: Microsoft thinks Call Of Duty and GTA V will be enough

Both Call Of Duty and GTA have received timed downloadable content exclusively ahead of releases on other platforms, but mainly because Microsoft throws cash at the game publishers. Still, people play CoD on 360 in droves, and it keeps Xbox Live active and in high demand. Will the big third-party releases be enough to keep the console relevant without exclusives? Probably, but at the same time, how can Microsoft persuade people to buy a console if its games are also on another platform?

Well, it appears to have a special place in the hearts of consumers: the Xbox 360 is still selling like hotcakes.

Reason #5: Microsoft is leaving the game-making biz

LOL JK...or am I? *cue dramatic music*

What do you think? Why does Microsoft seem to not care about exclusives? What do you think its plans are for 2013?

By Gaetano Prestia

Link to us http://360.mmgn.com/Articles/why-is-microsoft-releasing-only-one-xbox
Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

Why is Microsoft releasing only one Xbox 360 exclusive in 2013? Comments

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook
It's gotta be launching the new Xbox in 2013 surely? we need new hardware NOW!
If Gears is the only real exclusive in 2013 and there's no new Xbox then damn...
I feel like it's a combination of 1, 2 and 360's still selling anyway.
The last original game was in 2008 alan wake.

If the "last of us" and " beyond" turn out right I will switch to the dark side. (evil)

Microsoft's "gears" are getting rusty.

If #5 is true what would the game industry actually be missing? I rather Valve take MS's spot.
Man. How dissapointed are people going to be if 2013 passes by with no new Xbox or PS3? @_@

OllyEbbz said: It's gotta be launching the new Xbox in 2013 surely? we need new hardware NOW!
If Gears is the only real exclusive in 2013 and there's no new Xbox then damn...



Yeah, but the thing is, Microsoft keeps saying, "Xbox is about entertainment"...so then why would it release new hardware and say, "LOOK AT HOW POWERFUL OUR NEW GAMING CONSOLE IS!" Doesn't make sense...maybe a new console slightly more powerful, faster CPU, but basically Apple TV...but from Microsoft and with AAA games.

Beta said:

OllyEbbz said: It's gotta be launching the new Xbox in 2013 surely? we need new hardware NOW!
If Gears is the only real exclusive in 2013 and there's no new Xbox then damn...


Yeah, but the thing is, Microsoft keeps saying, "Xbox is about entertainment"...so then why would it release new hardware and say, "LOOK AT HOW POWERFUL OUR NEW GAMING CONSOLE IS!" Doesn't make sense...maybe a new console slightly more powerful, faster CPU, but basically Apple TV...but from Microsoft and with AAA games.



What of the rumours of Microsoft having two seperate releases. One an entertainment hub and the other it's next gen gaming system?

1wiierdguy said:

Beta said:

OllyEbbz said: It's gotta be launching the new Xbox in 2013 surely? we need new hardware NOW!
If Gears is the only real exclusive in 2013 and there's no new Xbox then damn...


Yeah, but the thing is, Microsoft keeps saying, "Xbox is about entertainment"...so then why would it release new hardware and say, "LOOK AT HOW POWERFUL OUR NEW GAMING CONSOLE IS!" Doesn't make sense...maybe a new console slightly more powerful, faster CPU, but basically Apple TV...but from Microsoft and with AAA games.


What of the rumours of Microsoft having two seperate releases. One an entertainment hub and the other it's next gen gaming system?



I'd love that to be honest. But the gaming model should include everything the entertainment model has.

Post a comment

Leave a comment Log in with Facebook

Recently Read

Featured Xbox 360 Content

Destiny - Which platform?

Destiny - Which platform?

10/09/2014 Polls 0 3
Tim Cahill is rated 74 in FIFA 15, lower rating was an error

Tim Cahill is rated 74 in FIFA 15, lower rating was an error

Gryllis 35 mins News 2 1
Destiny's first end-game raid is not for the faint-hearted

Destiny's first end-game raid is not for the faint-hearted

Tano 1 hour News 0 1
Watch Dogs’ Bad Blood DLC is worth hacking into

Watch Dogs’ Bad Blood DLC is worth hacking into

Gryllis 1 hour Articles 1 6
10-year-old begs Microsoft not to change her favourite game

10-year-old begs Microsoft not to change her favourite game

Tano 2 hours News 2 1
From Bungie to Rare: Microsoft's buyouts

From Bungie to Rare: Microsoft's buyouts

Tano 23 hours Articles 4 5
Ubisoft reveals complete Just Dance 2015 tracklist
Gryllis 23 hours News 0 7
Microsoft will support Minecraft on PlayStation

Microsoft will support Minecraft on PlayStation

Gryllis 1 day News 8 6
Minecraft officially joins Microsoft

Minecraft officially joins Microsoft

Tano 1 day News 2 5

Community Content

Awesome Gaming Stuff Of Tomorrow, Today! Vol. 3

Awesome Gaming Stuff Of Tomorrow, Today! Vol. 3

02/09/2014 Blog 9 0

MMGN Updates

Status
Updating..
Username

commented on From Bungie to Rare: Microsoft's buyouts

Skarteh 15 hours ago
Username

commented on MoeMan's Retro Gaming Collection travels

avid_gamer 16 hours ago
Username

avid_gamer is now Level 2!

avid_gamer 16 hours ago
Username

commented on Pentium Nikes

avid_gamer 16 hours ago
Username

commented on The Sims 4 initial impressions pave way for disappointment

avid_gamer 16 hours ago
Username

hy_Jack got Saints Row: The Third, Grand Theft Auto V, Far Cry 3, Dead Island and other 11 games

hy_Jack 18 hours ago
Username

Daniel369 is now Level 7!

Daniel369 21 hours ago
Username

hy_Jack is now Level 10!

hy_Jack 21 hours ago